Happy Happy New Year! 2008 may have been great, but I am hoping 2009 will be divine! Once again I sit here without an organized, researched subject, so this will be a random dissertation.
I like to begin each New Year with lists. A list of resolutions I'll never keep, a list of birthdays on the calendar, a list of what needs to be organized etc. It helps me settle in to the New Year and feel like I have some sort of grip on it. I think lists are kind of "in" right now, as I often receive those emails requesting that I list what I am wearing, doing, did last night, last movie I watched etc. I rarely participate due to time constraints, but I love to learn what my loved ones are up to just the same. Here's a snapshot of the strudel in my noodle at present:
Time to take the ornaments off our Christmas Tree and put our house back into Non Christmas mode. Shouldn't there be a service for this sort of thing? i am willing to pay!
What recipe should I post this month?
How come my brother Jim is the only person who knew about the Jesus Christ radio show which airs on Sunday mornings 6-9 A.M.? It is excellent and I have been downloading the podcasts since I am not usually available for radio time at that time. It is so enlightening. Click here to learn a little bit more about it. Be sure to read Neil's bio. I have really been enjoying this.
Joey New York pore minimizing foundation, only available online to the best of my knowledge, is the best!
A few Goals:
Work smarter not harder
Talk less/ listen more
Engage in 30 inutes of exercise as often as possible
20 minutes of meditation everyday
Eat more fruits and vegetables/ less starch, sugar, meat and fat
Let go of yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow- make the most of this moment. Be present in the present. Sometimes I feel like one battery trying to light1000 light bulbs. It can work, but none will burn very brightly, and they'll all burn out faster. All this multi tasking really doesn't get anything done properly- better to do one thing at a time with full attention, and then move on to the next.
No expectations- trust and appreciate what is. It is what it is for a reason, often one of which I am not yet aware.
Try not to judge others- things aren't always what they appear to be.
Anonymous acts of kindness- make at least 10 people smile each day.
Fun With Words:
Happiness = Happy + Ness Happy = Happen and Ness = the state of -therefore, "Happiness" is transitory because it is dependent on "happenings" which are fleeting. Something happens, and then it stops. I don't want my state of mind or mood to be tethered to what is happening around me. Better the mood to affect the happenings than the other way around. I heard something along these lines ( and also the word below) on The Jesus Christ Show KFI 640 radio.
Holiday = Holy + Day We might lose the "Holy" pary of "Holiday" lest we pay attention! Thought provoking!
Favorite Things (these are personal- not grand scale):
Unscheduled time with family and friends
Warm chocolate fudge cook n serve pudding
The scent of orange blossoms
Feeling energized and on the ball
Getting to finish a sentence and actually being able to remember what I was trying to say
Good hair days
8 hours of uninterrupted sleep
A clean house
3 hours to read anythng I like
Long walks around town
Working up a good sweat
Moments of clarity
Feelings of accomplishment
Hilarious and thought provoking emails
Letters in the mail
Making people laugh
Shiny sparkly stuff
Rainy days inside with a fire
Sunny days outside at the beach
Writing this blog
Least Favorite Things:
Succombing to gluttony
My mid section
Too much noise
Too much clutter
Not being able to see without my glasses
Not being able to finish a sentence
Being forgetful (ahh the aging process......)
Worrying about the past or future
When my son wears his pants under his rear
Being over scheduled
Being too cold
Being disrupted when I am trying to accomplish something
When people are unkind
***If you have an extra 10 minutes, be sure to click on Tiger Man's face to visit the mystery link. It's a YouTube movie not to miss***
Happy New Year from Jewel!
Please Read all the way to the bottom: If you will take the time to read these. I promise you'll come away with an enlightened perspective. The subjects covered affect us all on a daily basis:
They're written by Andy Rooney , a man who has the gift of saying so much with so few words.Enjoy.......
I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows.
I've learned.... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.
I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
I've learned.. That being kind is more important than being right.
I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.
I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.
I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
I've learned.. That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
I've learned.... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.
I've learned.... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
I've learned.... That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.
I've learned.... That money doesn't buy class.
I've learned.... That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
I've learned... That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
I've learned.... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.
I 've learned.... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
I've learned.... That love, not time, heals all wounds.
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
I've learned.. That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
I've learned.... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.
I've learned... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.
I've learned.... That opportunities are never lost, someone will take the ones you miss.
I've learned.. That when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.
I've learned.... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.
I've learned.... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.
I've learned... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
I've learned.... That when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.
I've learned... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
I've learned.... That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.
What are the 10 most popular resolutions for 2009? Here they are - you can put them in your own personal order:
* Make more time for family and friends
* Quit smoking
* Start exercising
* Go back to school / take a class
* Get out of debt
* Advance in your career, make more money
* Get into philanthropy and community involvement
* Quit drinking
* Lose weight
* Get out of a bad relationship / find true love
Resolutions you can keep:
1. I want to gain weight. Put on at least 30 pounds.
2. Stop exercising. Waste of time.
3. Read less.
4. Watch more TV. I've been missing some good stuff.
5. Procrastinate more.
6. Drink. Drink some more.
7. Take up a new habit: smoking.
8. Spend at least $1000 a month on Ladies of the Night.
9. Spend more time at work.
10. Take a vacation to someplace important: like to see the largest ball of twine.
11. Stop bringing lunch from home: I should eat out more.
12. Quit giving money & time to charity.
13. Start being superstitious.
14. Have my car lowered and invest in a really loud stereo system. Get the windows tinted. Buy some fur for the dash.
15. Speak in a monotone voice and only use monosyllabic words.
16. Only wear jeans that are 2 sizes too small and use a chain or rope for a belt. Only wear white T-shirts with those fashionable yellow stains under the arms.
17. Personal goal: bring back disco.
NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS YOU WON'T
BE ABLE TO KEEP IF YOU'RE A NERD
16. I resolve... I resolve to... I resolve to, uh... I resolve to, uh, get my, er... I resolve to, uh, get my, er, off-line work done, too!
15. I will stop checking my e-mail at 3:00 in the morning... 4:30 is much more practical.
14. When I hear a funny joke I will not reply, "LOL... LOL!"
13. I will stop sending e-mail, ICQ, Instant Messages and be on the phone at the same time with the same person.
12. I will try to figure out why I *really* need 9 e-mail addresses.
11. I will stop sending e-mail to my roommate.
10. I will not buy magazines with AOL disks bound in just to get another 1.44MB disk.
9. I resolve to work with neglected children... my own.
8. I will answer my snail mail with the same enthusiasm I answer e-mail.
7. When I subscribe to a newsgroup or mailing list, I will read all the mail I get from it.
6. I will stop using, "So, what's your URL?" as a pickup line.
5. No more downloads from alt.binaries.*
4. I resolve to back up my new 400 GB hard drive daily... well, once a week... monthly, perhaps...
3. I will spend less than five hour a day on the Internet.
2. I will limit my top ten lists to ten items.
1. I will read the manual... just as soon as I can find it.
Cookie the Cat's Resolutions
5. I will not demand to get out the minute after I come in and visa versa.
4. I will not scratch wallpaper, curtains, furniture, clothing or my scratch pad.
3. I will not annoy the dog next door (unless Im in a bad mood)
2. I will come when my human calls me (occasionally)
and the Number One New Year Resolution for Cookie is...
1. I will not sleep more than 23 hours per day.
1. I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me. 4.3 stars
2. I couldn't quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but eventually it came back to me.
duncan - Victoria, BC
3. Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now. 4.2 stars
4. He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends. 4.1 stars
5. There was a sign on the lawn at a drug re-hab center that said 'Keep off the Grass'.
Dave H - Hayward CA
6. Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest. 4.0 stars
7. A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was a nurse said 'No change yet'. 4.0 stars
8. Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat minor. 4.0 stars
9. A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it. 4.0 stars
10. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Click here to download the QuickTime Player if you don't have it. Remember, if you have dial up, the movie will take a few minutes to load!
Email your comments, good, bad, or ugly
Just a little history.
Archive of past issues.
View a Virtual kaleidoscope!
Make freaky animals!
Take a personality test based on your color preferences.
MTW stands for Morty's Twisted World. Visit him he's hilarious!
Free recipe of the month tested in my own kitchen.
Quotes, articles, jokes, funny pictures. Very clever.